After applying for permits and inspections for your proposed basement renovation, you now can start the endeavor of renovating the space. http://www.thebasementbuilders.ca has been booming these days, providing renovations for basements and give additional space for families to utilize. Renovation may sound too technical, but actually all you need is a creative mind and the will to finish project. To help you start, here are some steps you can apply during the finishing work of the renovation:
- Check the walls and ceiling.
Before anything else, check the current state of your walls if there are cracks that can be seen, water marks or seepage, and even moss growth. To have a clean interior wall finish, the exterior or perimeter wall of the basement must be free from any trace of water damage. Excessive water can be absorbed by the insulation you will install and will therefore cause damage to the finishes. Since pipes will most likely run through your basement ceiling, check and verify if there are no leaks as this will damage the ceiling you will install. Make sure to address all structural and utilities issues first prior to installing any additional items or finishes.
- Apply vapor barrier and offset space.
A vapor barrier is a sheet made of impermeable material that is used to trap water and moisture at one side to prohibit damage caused by water seepage. An offset space on the other hand is achieved by installing furrings attached to the perimeter wall that will serve as a gap or cavity to capture moisture content and not pass through walls. It is best if these two techniques are applied to ensure that there’s no dampness of walls.
- Choose and install the right insulation.
The insulation material is your partner in keeping the cold temperatures out and retaining the warmth indoors. You might think since that since it is placed within walls it would not matter if you buy a cheap alternative, but I assure you investing on the right product gives a big impact on the outcome of the space itself. It will provide the right insulation and therefore there’s less need for using the heater, saving you from shocking electrical bills.
- Install additional utilities.
This part of the renovation project is best done with a professional because it involves electrical, plumbing, and HVAC utilities. Prior to attaching the wall and ceiling panels to close off the space, you should install the new wirings needed to light up the space. In addition, HVAC components are very sensitive, if you have no experience with adding supplies or anything about the system then its best to just leave it to the professionals.
- Apply final interior wall and ceiling finish.
Being able to close the walls and ceiling after installing additional utilities is the crowning glory of any interior renovation. Make sure you have sufficient panels prepared and that all parts that will need openings for light switches and convenience outlets are ready. Apply paint and your space is ready to be filled with memories.
Try to make the whole family participate in the basement renovation as it will give it more personality and more sentimental value if each member lends a hand during the process. Good luck with your renovation!…
A lot of homes have basements simply because it is convenient having a basement area where you could store many of your home’s utility equipment. While this serves as very convenient for the engineers and construction crew who worked on the home, it is actually a waste of space for the homeowner who lives in that home. While it may not come as very obvious at first for them, especially if it is only a new couple that lives there. However, once they start to raise a family and the space in the home is becoming quite cramped and occupied, the only way to increase space is to expand.
Expanding the home can be quite tricky. You are left with expanding your home sideways, upwards, or downwards. If there is not enough lawn space, expanding sideways is out of the question. Expanding upwards on the other hand or adding another floor to the home may be quite costly as the overall structure needs to be reinforced and that the roof needs to come off before they can add another floor. Possibly the easiest way will be to expand downwards, especially if there the home already has a basement area.
The basement area is normally where they store the homes water heating system, the HVAC, and many other utilities needed for the homes overall function. Since there is already a basement space, it only requires further renovation and development for it to turn into the added living space for your home that you want. You can turn that basement area into a living room, family room, gaming room, home theater room, a library, a home office, additional bedrooms, or a combination of room areas should there be enough space for it.
Developing the basement area is not an easy project that you can undertake yourself. This type of projects requires a lot of crewman that understands this particular construction process. If you want your basement area developed, you need to hire professional basement development companies. In Calgary basement use is actually a common thing which is why many renovations Calgary has occur in the basement area. For this reason, Calgary basement renovations and development crews are among the most experienced in this field of construction. They have been doing this type of construction for many years and they are certain to provide you with the results that you want and desire.…
Whether you live in a condo, a newly built home, or an old home, as a homeowner, there always things you can find on how you can improve your home. The home improvement you may itch for may be for aesthetics, for storage, for convenience, or for repairs. Some home improvement projects can be costly and some requires the services of professionals. When attempting a home improvement, it is import to do things that matter.
- Value – if you want to do some home improvement on your home, try to consider something that can add value to your home, especially if you will consider selling your home somewhere in the near future. Simple home improvements like the refinishing of hardwood floors, the replacing of tile countertops into single-piece granite countertops, the adding of new bathrooms, and the removal of retro designs into more modern designs within the home can all add better value to your home.
- Quick projects – there are some home improvement projects that takes very little time to accomplish. Find simple home improvement projects that will take very little of your time such as the adding of shelves in your storage spaces or the repainting of cabinets and doors.
- DIY or Hire Professionals – if you find a DIY project, try to identify if it is something that you can do as a weekend project. However, if the project requires some bit of skill and that it is easily seen by your house guests, then you may opt to hire a professional to do the work for better results.
- Tools – if you fancy doing DIY projects on your home during your free time, then it is important that you equip yourself with the necessary tools. While you may not find a use for some tools, there is always a time when you may need one to do a minor but time-saving task for it. It is always better to have the tools that you may not need for now than not having them when you need them.
- Planning – some home improvement projects do not require much of planning, especially when they are very easy and takes very little time to do. However, for more expensive projects, it is crucial that you do some planning when you are about to execute them. A good example will be renovation projects. For these projects, it is crucial that you hire the right contractors so that you get the results that you want.